Why Microlearning is the Future of Safety Training
Let’s be honest: health and safety training can be dull and uninspiring if not delivered effectively. We’ve all experienced those marathon PowerPoint presentations that leave us walking away without retaining much, if anything at all.
And it’s no wonder – the human brain, particularly our working memory, can only handle a limited amount of information at once. Our attention spans are shrinking too, thanks to the constant influx of content in our daily lives. Surprisingly, research supports what we’ve instinctively felt as the most effective learning occurs within the first five minutes and rapidly declines after just 15 minutes.
When it comes to safety training, traditional methods are calling out for a change. This is where microlearning comes in. By delivering bite-sized and captivating content, microlearning injects a new wave of excitement and effectiveness into the training process. But what sets microlearning apart and makes it so remarkably effective? Let’s find out.
What is Microlearning?
Microlearning is a teaching method that deconstructs subjects into short and engaging modules, typically lasting 3-5 minutes. Each module is carefully designed with a specific learning outcome in mind. Learners have the flexibility to choose what and when they learn, and they can access the training materials at their convenience from any location using any device. The ultimate aim of microlearning is to deliver content that is easy to comprehend, whilst also being captivating, relevant, and memorable.
Examples of Microlearning Formats
When it comes to implementing microlearning, choosing the right format for your training is key. With a multitude of options available, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Here are some examples of microlearning formats you can choose from:
- Text: Short paragraphs, concise messages, or helpful hints deliver information in a straightforward manner.
- Images: Visual aids such as illustrations and relevant photos convey concepts or instructions efficiently.
- Videos: Short and snappy explainer videos capture attention and provide quick demonstrations or summaries. Animated videos or interviews can be used based on the content and target audience.
- Audio: Snippets of speech or music can provide additional context, explanations, or reinforce key points.
- Interactive Elements: Quizzes, games, flashcards, and other gamification mechanics offer engaging learning experiences, making the training process enjoyable and effective.
Benefits of Microlearning
Microlearning offers numerous benefits that make it an ideal choice for safety training:
- Suits Newer Generations: With 63% of Millennials and 58% of Gen-Zers expressing a desire to learn new skills but feeling time-constrained, microlearning strikes a balance by seamlessly integrating short, focused lessons into their daily workflow.
- Increased Engagement and Retention: Short bursts of information are perfectly aligned with the capabilities of the human brain, and accessing short and engaging content at learners’ own pace has been proven to improve retention and performance.
- Time and Cost Efficiency: By eliminating the need for lengthy training sessions, microlearning saves both time and resources. Investing in online learning software also brings long-term cost savings by reducing reliance on in-person sessions and printed materials whilst maximising training investment and optimising budgets.
- Flexibility and Accessibility: Microlearning grants learners the freedom to access modules anytime, anywhere. Recognising that the optimal time for information intake varies, microlearning accommodates individual preferences. With the accessibility provided by mobile devices and online platforms, learners can engage with materials on the go, tailoring their learning experience to their needs.
How to Implement Microlearning into Your Safety Training
But how do you go about navigating the shift from traditional teaching methods to implementing microlearning? Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Assess Your Training Needs: Identify the key areas of focus and the specific learning outcomes you want to achieve through microlearning.
- Break Down the Topics: Deconstruct complex safety topics into bite-sized modules that can be easily understood and digested.
- Choose the Right Formats: Select the most suitable microlearning formats, such as text, images, videos, audio, or interactive elements, based on the content and learner preferences.
- Provide Accessibility: Make the microlearning modules accessible through various devices and platforms, allowing learners to access them whenever and wherever they prefer.
- Track Progress and Assess Learning: Utilise learning management systems or analytics tools to monitor learners’ progress, assess their understanding, and identify areas for improvement.
- Choose a Reliable Supplier: When implementing microlearning, you may consider collaborating with a trusted supplier who possesses the necessary expertise, resources, and support. At Resolution Digital, our experienced team is ready to help you achieve a seamless implementation process. Contact us here to discuss your ideas and maximise the benefits of microlearning in your organisation.
- Continuous Improvement: Regularly review and update your microlearning content to reflect the latest safety standards and incorporate feedback from learners.
Consider a Customised Approach
When it comes to impactful safety training, off-the-shelf solutions may not meet your unique requirements. Consider a customised approach to tailor the learning experience to your business. By personalising the training program, you create engagement, meaning, and alignment with your specific needs.
Imagine the potential of onsite filming and seamlessly integrating your company logo, along with your brand colours into training videos and your online platform. These personalised touches not only foster a sense of value and connection amongst employees but also create a cohesive and visually appealing learning experience. Additionally, there’s the option to accommodate different languages and incorporate custom subtitles, so that you can ensure inclusivity and accessibility for all of your employees.
What’s more, bespoke safety platforms provide flexibility to add features that complement your business operations. Whether you require an annual refresher or a one-time induction, the platform can be customised to suit your precise needs.
Need Some Advice?
Resolution Digital are experts in developing engaging microlearning modules, creating concise yet impactful videos, and customising training platforms to meet your specific needs.
To find out how microlearning can help your business, get in touch today.